- Shoes must comply with both national and local track and field standards. Jump ropes must be unmodified
- Competitors will occupy assigned lanes behind a start line with a lane space between each competitor and no more than 5 competitors on a 9 lane track.
- A signal will indicate the start of the race.
- In the event of a first false start, there will be a re-start. After a re-start in any given heat, any competitor that false starts in that same heat will be disqualified.
- Competitors may complete the first stride forward of the start line before jumping over the rope.
- After the first stride, a competitor must jump over the rope once per stride.
- A competitor’s finish time will be determined when her/his chest crosses the finish line, provided that she/he completes one stride and rope-jump after her/his chest breaks the plane of the finish line.
- Disqualification from a sprint race occurs if a competitor:
(a) engages in a false start immediately after a re-start;
(b) leaves her/his assigned lane;
(c) releases either end of the rope; and/or
(d) takes a stride without also jumping rope (except for the first stride).
- For longer distance races and relay races, any release of the rope or any missed rope-jump must immediately be followed by completely dropping the rope before resuming forward movement.
- In a Semi-Final race, if a competitor hinders another competitor, then the hindered competitor will receive an automatic opportunity to compete again and post an advancing time.
- Officials shall have discretion to make decisions that are reasonable and in the best interest of the sport.
- Suggested Divisions for JumpRopeSprint 100m Races
Men’s Elite and Women’s Elite (top 8 male qualifiers and top 8 female qualifiers)
Men’s 18-33 and Women’s 18-33
Men’s 34-49 and Women’s 34-49
Men’s 50+ and Women’s 50+
Boys’ 14-17 and Girls’ 14-17
- Each competitor shall be given at least 2 opportunities to post a qualifying time. The top male and female qualifiers advance to the quarter or semi-finals, depending on the number of competitors.
- Format for Event with more than 8 Entrants
Qualifying Round – Up to 2 Opportunities to post a Qualifying Time. The 8 best Qualifying Times advance to the Semi-Finals. After completion of the first Opportunity, the worst times begin the second Opportunity
Semi-Finals (8 competitors)
2 races with advancement to the Final Race for the 2 winners and the 2 next best times. Races are seeded based on Qualifying Times
Final Race (4 competitors)
- Format for Event with 5-8 Entrants
Semi-Finals – Up to 2 Opportunities to post a Qualifying Time. After completion of the first Opportunity, the worst times begin the second Opportunity. Top 4 Qualifying Times advance to the Final Race
Final Race (4 competitors)
- Format for Event with 2-4 Entrants
Final Race (2-4 competitors)
- Format for 4 x 100m Relay
The selection of relay teams shall be at the discretion of the event officials, with the intent of making each team both competitive and diverse.
Up to two opportunities to post a Qualifying Time
Top 4 Qualifying Times advance to the Final Race